Introduction to Zoldron 4 mg Injection
Zoldron 4 mg Injection belongs to bisphosphonate class, containing an active ingredient, Zoledronic Acid, also known as Zoledronate. It is used to treat the porosity or weakening of the bones (Osteoporosis) caused mainly after Menopause (postmenopausal Osteoporosis), also due to usage of steroids or other medicines, changes in hormone levels, inadequate diet intake, etc.
Apart from that, Zoldron Injection can reduce the risk of breakdown of bones during cancer. It is also used to treat raised levels of calcium in the blood in people who have cancer. This medicine is also used in the treatment of Paget’s disease in which disruption of the replacement of old bone cells with new bone cells occurs.
Osteoporosis is a bone disease which occurs when the body loses too much bone (calcium) into the blood, makes too little bone, or both. As a result, bones become porous, weak, less and fragile, indicating that they may get broken easily from a minor fall or slightest trauma. Also, in severe cases, people can get bone fractures even from sneezing or small bumps.
Symptoms of Osteoporosis are not visible in the early stages. Still, when the disease progress and bones become weaker, one can observe the signs and symptoms like Back pain, which may be caused by a fractured vertebra, body pain, loss of height over time, stooped posture, frequent bone fractures even in slight injuries. Various risk factors may attribute the chances of Osteoporosis which includes your age, sex, race, lifestyle, and medical and family histories, including all the drugs treatments a patient is going through.
Uses of Zoldron 4 mg
- Postmenopausal Osteoporosis (postmenopausal condition, in which bone become porous and fragile due to desorption of calcium from bone)
- Hypercalcemia (high levels of calcium in the blood due to desorption of bone)
- Paget’s disease (disruption of the replacement of old bone tissue with new bone tissue)
How Does Zoldron 4 Works?
Zoldron 4 mg Injection has an active ingredient, Zoledronic Acid, which is a bisphosphonate. This medicine acts by suppressing the activity of osteoclasts, the cells present in the bone itself and responsible for desorption of calcium from bones which destroy bone only. This injection, however, strengthens the bones & minimizes the risk of fractures.
Zoldron Injection is a bisphosphonate. It works by suppressing the activity of osteoclasts, cells that cause destruction of bone. This strengthens the bones and minimizes the risk of fractures.
Side Effects of Zoldron 4
- Redness or swelling of eyes
- Abdominal and stomach pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Difficulty with swallowing
- Irregular heartbeat
- Loss of appetite
- Trouble sleeping
- Back pain
- Musculoskeletal (bone, muscle or joint) pain
Serious Side Effects
- Flu-like Symptoms
- Bone, Joint, or Muscle Pain
- Gastrointestinal Distress
- Injection Site Reactions
- Low Calcium Levels
- Kidney Problems
- Osteonecrosis of the Jaw
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Renal Impairment
- Severe Hypocalcemia
- Allergic Reactions
How to Manage Side Effects
- Inform Your Healthcare Provider
- Follow Prescribed Dosage
- Take with Food or Water
- Stay Hydrated
- Avoid Alcohol and Certain Foods
- Monitor for Allergic Reactions
- Report Unusual Symptoms
- Consider Timing
Warning & Precautions
- Kidney/ Liver disease
- This medicine is not suggested for use by children
- You must get your blood test done repeatedly during treatment to monitor the side effects of Zoledronic Acid on your blood cells
- Regular blood tests are essential to check your blood cells along with kidney, liver & heart function during treatment with this medicine
- You must drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration & kidney damage
- Use of this medicine can lower the level of calcium in the blood, so you must take calcium & vitamin D supplements as suggested by your doctor
- Use of this medicine may cause a rare condition called osteonecrosis of the jaw, so you must have regular dental check-ups & inform your doctor if you develop sudden pain in your jaw
- Your doctor will monitor response to this medicine by testing your Bone Mineral Density (BMD). It is typically done every 1-3 years
- You should not drive or operate heavy machines besides taking this medicine as it may cause dizziness
- You are supposed not to take this drug if you are pregnant, planning to conceive or are breastfeeding
- You must always discuss with your medical doctor to obtain the first-rate treatment if you are observing a number of the conditions mentioned above.
- Driving And Using Machines
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long should I receive Zoldron?
Ans. Zoldron should be received in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. The medicine takes around 6 months to show its maximum benefits on bones. However, in some cases, the doctor may suggest Zoldron for a longer duration. The exact duration will depend on the condition you are being treated for.
2. How is Zoldron administered?
Ans. Zoldron will be given to you only by a doctor or a nurse into a vein (intravenously). Your doctor will decide the correct dose and duration of Zoldron for you depending upon your age, body weight and disease condition.
3. What are the lifestyle changes should I follow while receiving Zoldron?
Ans. To get maximum benefit from this medicine, there are certain lifestyle changes that you must adhere to. Include some calcium or vitamin D rich foods for bone strength. Try to spend more time in sunlight to get natural vitamin D. Quit smoking and reduce alcohol consumption as they may harm your bones. You can take up an exercise regime such as walking and low-impact aerobics as they are good for your bones. Similarly, you can try strength-training exercises where you use your own body weight which in turn improve bone health.
4. Can Zoldron cause constipation?
Ans. Yes, Zoldron may cause constipation in some individuals. To manage this effect, try to eat more high-fiber foods such as fresh fruit, vegetables, cereals and drink plenty of water. If this does not help, inform your doctor for receiving alternate treatment for constipation.