Introduction to Hibose 50 mg Tablet
Hibose 50mg Tablets contains Acarbose which belongs to the group of medicines called Anti-diabetic agents. It is used to treat non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (diabetes mellitus type 2) when a restricted diet alone or restricted diet in combination with other sugar lowering drugs do not work well enough.
Non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus can be defined as the condition in which either your body does not make enough insulin or doesn’t use insulin properly. Insulin is a hormone which helps glucose to get into cells and produce energy. Due to this the glucose in the blood stays as it is and does not get absorbed by the cells which increases the blood sugar level.
Acarbose helps in slowing down the digestion of carbohydrates (sugars) which lower down the abnormally high blood sugar levels which rises after each meal. Along with Hibose 50mg Tablet your doctor might advise you to do some lifestyle changes and cut down your sugar intake by restricting the diet. Prior to the treatment your doctor may take up several blood tests to better assess your condition.
Before taking Hibose 50mg Tablet tell your doctor if you have kidney or liver disease, ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease (inflammation or ulceration in the bowel), severe liver disease (liver cirrhosis), diabetic ketoacidosis, an intestine disease (unable to digest the food properly), obstruction in intestines, or have a large hernia. Hibose 50mg Tablet is generally not recommended for use in children and adolescents (under 18 years of age), consult your doctor before taking this.
Hibose 50mg Tablet is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women, consult your doctor before taking it. The most common side effects are flatulence, growling stomach, abdominal cramps, or a feeling of fullness. Avoid taking household sugar (cane sugar) with Hibose 50mg Tablet as it may worsen the side effects. Consult with your doctor if any of the symptoms worsen.
Uses of Hibose 50 mg
- To treat diabetes mellitus type 2
How Does Hibose 50 Works
Hibose 50mg Tablet helps in lowering down the abnormally high blood sugar levels by slowing down the digestion of carbohydrates. It acts on the intestinal walls and pancreas and stops the action and absorption of certain enzymes (alpha-amylase and alpha-glucosidases). By preventing this activity Hibose 50mg Tablet reduces postprandial (after meals) blood glucose and insulin levels.
Side Effects of Hibose 50
Common Side Effects
- Growling in stomach
- Stomach pain or abdominal cramps
- Feeling of fullness
Dosage of Hibose 50 mg
- Drug name: Hibose (generic name not specified)
- Dosage strength: 50 mg
- Administration: Oral route (by mouth)
- Dosage regimen:
- Adults: 50 mg once daily with or without food
- Pediatric dose: Dosage may vary based on the child’s weight and age. Please consult a pediatrician for the appropriate dosage.
- Duration of treatment: As prescribed by the healthcare provider. Follow the full course of treatment even if symptoms improve.
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage without medical supervision.
- Take the medication at the same time each day for best results.
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember. If it is close to the next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and resume regular dosing. Do not double the dose to catch up.
- Always follow the instructions and advice given by your healthcare professional regarding this medication.
How to Manage Side Effects
- Contact Healthcare Provider
- Follow Prescribed Dosage
- Do Not Discontinue Abruptly
- Take With Food
- Stay Hydrated
- Avoid Alcohol and Certain Foods
- Monitor Symptoms
Warning & Precautions
- Allergic Reactions
- Drug Interactions
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Medical Conditions
- Age-specific Precautions
- Driving and Operating Machinery
- Alcohol and Tobacco
- Sun Exposure
- Abrupt Discontinuation
- Blood Tests and Monitoring: Regular blood tests or medical monitoring may be necessary to check for any potential adverse effects or to assess the medication’s effectiveness.
- Storage and Handling
- Read Patient Information Leaflet
- Take Hibose 50 mg exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- Inform your doctor about any medical conditions, allergies, or medications you are taking before starting Hibose 50 mg.
- Follow the recommended dosage and do not exceed the prescribed amount.
- Do not use Hibose 50 mg if you are allergic to any of its ingredients.
- Inform your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding before starting the medication.
- Hibose 50 mg may cause drowsiness or dizziness; use caution while driving or operating heavy machinery.
- If you experience any severe side effects or allergic reactions while taking Hibose 50 mg, seek immediate medical attention.
- Store Hibose 50 mg in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight, and keep it out of reach of children.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can Hibose 50mg Tablet be used alone to treat diabetes mellitus type 2?
Ans. No. Hibose 50mg Tablet is used in the treatment of diabetes mellitus type 2 or non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus as an adjunct to diet or when diet and other sugar lowering medications are not working properly. Your doctor will be able to better understand your condition and treat accordingly.
2. Is overdose of Hibose 50mg Tablet likely to cause hypoglycaemia?
Ans. No. Overdose of Hibose 50mg Tablet is unlikely to cause hypoglycaemia (abnormally low levels of sugar). However, it may worsen the gastrointestinal effects (flatulence, diarrhoea, abdominal pain). If you or anyone else happens to have an overdose of Hibose 50mg Tablet you should contact your doctor immediately.
3. What if I forget to take a dose of Hibose 50mg Tablet?
Ans. If you forgot to take a dose of Hibose 50mg Tablet then do not take the missed dose between meals. Wait until your next scheduled dose and meal and continue taking your medicine as per normal. Do not take a double dose of Hibose 50mg Tablet to make up for a forgotten dose.
4. Can Hibose 50mg Tablet be used in children and adolescents?
Ans. No, Hibose 50mg Tablet is not recommended to use in children and adolescents (below 18 years of age). Consult your doctor if you have symptoms of high blood sugar such as dry mouth, fruity-smell breath, increased hunger, excessive thirst and increased urination.