Introduction to Lamivir HBV 100 mg Tablet
Lamivir HBV 100mg Tablets is used in the treatment of HIV infection and chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection. It prevents the multiplication of virus in human cells. This stops the virus from producing new viruses and clears up your infection.
Lamivir HBV Tablet is not a cure for HIV or AIDS and only helps to decrease the amount of HIV in your body. This helps to lower your risk of getting HIV-related complications and improves your lifespan. It is prescribed in combination with other HIV medicines. Your doctor will recommend the best medicines for you and will decide the doses that you need.
Follow carefully the instructions for all the medicines that you are given. It can be taken with or without food. Taking all these medicines regularly at the right times greatly increases their effectiveness and reduces the chances of HIV becoming resistant to them. It is important not to miss doses and to keep taking them until your doctor tells you it is safe to stop.
Common side effects of this medicine include headache, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, fatigue, diarrhea, and rash. These are usually not serious but tell your doctor if they bother you or do not go away. Rarely, some people may experience a skin reaction or liver damage. Your doctor will closely monitor you for these in the initial period of treatment.
Before taking it, tell your doctor if you have any skin problems or liver or kidney disease. While using it, you may need regular blood tests to check your blood counts and liver function. Avoid drinking alcohol as it may increase your risk of liver damage. Pregnant or breastfeeding mothers should consult their doctor before using this medicine. Do not have unprotected sex or share personal items like razors or toothbrushes, if you are HIV positive. Talk to your doctor about safe ways like condoms to prevent HIV transmission during sex.
Uses of Lamivir HBV 100 mg
- Chronic Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) infection
How Does Lamivir HBV 100 Works
Lamivir HBV Tablet is an antiviral medicine which has Lamivudine which work by preventing HIV (virus) from replicating and multiplying, hence reducing the amount of virus in your body by inhibiting the action of viral specified enzyme reverse transcriptase.
Side Effects of Lamivir HBV 100
- Runny nose
- Hair loss
- Lactic acidosis
- Weight loss
- Liver toxicity
- Myalgias and arthralgias
- Dizziness or tiredness
Dosage of Lamivir HBV 100 mg
Lamivir HBV Tablet contains, Lamivudine, which is used in the treatment of HIV Infection. You must discuss with your doctor about the dosage and frequency of the doses because age and severity of the disease differ from patient to patient. You are also advised to complete the full treatment course.
Adults are advised to take Lamivir HBV Tablet at a fixed time as instructed by your Doctor. You may take it with or without food. It is not recommended for pediatric population, or Pregnant/ Breastfeeding woman.
Other Dosages of Lamivir HBV 100 mg
How to Manage Side Effects
- Always take Lamivir HBV 100 as prescribed by your healthcare provider.
- Inform your doctor about any pre-existing medical conditions, allergies, or other medications you are taking to avoid potential drug interactions.
- Report any side effects or symptoms you experience to your doctor promptly.
- If you experience mild side effects, they may resolve on their own with time. If they persist or worsen, consult your doctor.
- If you experience severe or concerning side effects, seek immediate medical attention.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids unless otherwise advised by your healthcare provider.
Warning & Precautions
- Pregnant or Breastfeeding women
- Kidney (Renal Failure) and heart Diseases
- Liver disease
- Eye Inflammation
- Other virus Infections like HBV or HCV
- Lamivir HBV 100 should only be used under the supervision of a qualified healthcare professional experienced in the management of chronic HBV infection.
- Inform your healthcare provider about any pre-existing medical conditions, allergies, or other medications you are taking to avoid potential drug interactions.
- Take Lamivir HBV 100 exactly as prescribed by your healthcare provider. Do not change the dosage or stop taking the medication without consulting your doctor.
- Lamivir HBV 100 is usually taken orally once daily with or without food, as directed by your doctor.
- Do not take Lamivir HBV 100 if you are allergic to lamivudine or any other components of the medication.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How should I take Lamivir HBV Tablet?
Ans. Lamivir HBV Tablet should be taken in the dose and duration advised by the doctor. This medicine can be taken with or without food. However, it is better to take it at a fixed time of the day to avoid the chances of missing a dose
2. Is Lamivir HBV Tablet effective?
Ans. Lamivir HBV Tablet is effective if used in the dose and duration advised by your doctor. Do not stop taking it even if you see improvement in your condition. If you stop using Lamivir HBV Tablet too early, the symptoms may return or worsen.
3. What is drug resistance? Can I develop drug resistance with Lamivir HBV Tablet?
Ans. Drug resistance is a state where the medicine which was once effective in treating an infection becomes ineffective. This mainly happens due to the ability acquired by the virus or bacteria to get modified inside the body which affects the overall working of the medicine. Hence, the medicine is no longer able to fight against the virus or bacteria. Generally, drug resistance with Lamivir HBV Tablet is more likely to happen if you take less dose than what is recommended.
4. How long should I take Lamivir HBV Tablet?
Ans. Do not stop taking entecavir without consulting your doctor. Stopping entecavir before treatment may worsen your hepatitis. This can happen during the first several months after you stop taking entecavir. Take the medicine strictly as advised and do not miss any dose.