Introduction to Isentress 400 mg Tablet
Isentress 400mg Tablet is Antiretroviral. It is used to treat HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), the virus that can cause AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome). It prevents the multiplication of viruses in human cells and clears up your infection.
Isentress 400mg Tablet is not a cure for HIV or AIDS and only helps to decrease the amount of HIV in your body. This helps to lower your risk of getting HIV-related complications and improves your lifespan. It is prescribed in combination with other HIV medicines. Your doctor will recommend the best medicines for you and will decide the doses that you need.
Follow the instructions carefully, for all the medicines that you are given. It may be taken with or without food, preferably at a fixed time. Avoid taking antacids containing aluminum or magnesium within 2 hours before or 2 hours after you take this medicine. It is important not to miss doses and to keep taking them until your doctor tells you it is safe to stop.
Some of the common side effects include insomnia (difficulty sleeping), headache, nausea, dizziness, and muscle pain. These are usually not serious but tell your doctor if they bother you or persist for a longer duration. Rarely, some people may experience a skin reaction or liver damage. Your doctor will closely monitor you for these in the initial period of treatment.
Before taking it, tell your doctor if you have any skin problems or liver or kidney disease. While using it, you may need regular blood tests to check your blood counts and liver function. Avoid drinking alcohol as it may increase your risk of liver damage. Pregnant or breastfeeding mothers should consult their doctor before using this medicine. Do not have unprotected sex or share personal items like razors or toothbrushes, if you are HIV positive. Talk to your doctor about safe ways like condoms to prevent HIV transmission during sex.
Uses of Isentress 400 mg
How Does Isentress 400 Works
Isentress 400 mg Tablet has an active ingredient; Raltegravir, an antiviral medication which prevents the
increase of the virus in human cells. This stops the virus from producing new viruses & clears up your infection. Raltegravir (as an integrase inhibitor) targets integrase, an HIV enzyme which integrates the viral genetic material into human chromosomes, a significant step in the pathogenesis of HIV. This drug is metabolized away via Glucuronidation.
Side Effects of Isentress 400
- Blood in urine
- Fast heartbeat
- Tightness of chest
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Redness of skin
- Upper right stomach pain
- Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
- Muscle pain
- Increased liver enzymes
Common Side Effects
- Insomnia (difficulty sleeping)
Serious Side Effects
- Severe allergic reactions (rash, hives, itching, swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat)
- Liver problems (yellowing of the skin or eyes, dark urine, abdominal pain)
- Severe skin reactions (Stevens-Johnson syndrome or toxic epidermal necrolysis)
- Changes in mood or mental health (depression, suicidal thoughts)
- Muscle pain or weakness, especially if accompanied by fever or dark-colored urine
- Signs of an infection, such as fever, chills, or persistent sore throat
- Increased blood sugar levels in people with diabetes
- Signs of pancreatitis (severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting)
Rare Side Effects
- Hemolytic anemia (a decrease in red blood cells)
- Thrombocytopenia (a decrease in platelets)
- Elevated liver enzymes
- Changes in fat distribution (lipodystrophy)
- Elevated creatine kinase levels (indicating muscle damage)
- Allergic reactions with severe skin symptoms
- Immune reconstitution syndrome
Dosage of Isentress 400 mg
Isentress 400 mg Tablet contains an active ingredient, Raltegravir, which is used in the treatment of HIV infection. This medicine is available in different substitutes & strengths & has got to be purchased or given on doctor’s prescription only. You must consult your physician for adjustment of dosage & time of the medicine because age and severity of the disease differ from person to person and it can only be best judged by your doctor.
Adults are advised to take Isentress 400 mg Tablet at a fixed time with or without food as instructed by your Doctor. You must take Isentress 400 mg Tablet regularly on time for better results.
How to Manage Side Effects
- Consult Your Doctor: If you experience any side effects while taking Isentress 400, talk to your doctor immediately.
- Follow Prescribed Dosage: Take Isentress 400 as prescribed by your doctor. Do not exceed the recommended dosage.
- Inform Your Doctor: Before taking Isentress 400, inform your doctor about any pre-existing medical conditions, medications, or supplements you are currently taking.
- Take with Food: If Isentress 400 causes stomach upset, taking it with food may help alleviate this side effect.
- Stay Hydrated: Ensure you stay well-hydrated by drinking plenty of water, unless otherwise instructed by your healthcare provider.
- Monitor Blood Tests: Your doctor may recommend regular blood tests to monitor your liver function, kidney function, and other potential side effects.
Warning & Precautions
- Kidney/ Liver disease
- You must not take this medicine if you are pregnant, planning to conceive or breastfeeding
- Isentress 400 mg Tablet is not recommended for use in children under 3 years of age
- You must not drive or operate heavy machinery at the same time as taking this medicine as it may cause dizziness
- You must use effective contraception while taking Isentress 400 mg Tablet & 12 weeks after stopping it
- You must regularly get your blood tests done to monitor your blood cells, liver and kidney function, and electrolyte levels during treatment with this medicine
- Always consult with your medical doctor straight away to get the best possible treatment if you are observing any of the above-mentioned conditions.
- Prescription Only: Isentress 400 is a prescription medication and should only be taken under the supervision of a qualified healthcare provider.
- Medical Supervision: Take Isentress 400 only as prescribed by your doctor. Follow their instructions regarding dosage and duration of treatment.
- Allergy Check: Inform your doctor about any known allergies to Raltegravir or any other medications before starting Isentress 400.
- Inform Your Doctor: Before starting Isentress 400, inform your doctor about your complete medical history, including any pre-existing medical conditions or other medications you are taking.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is Raltegravir a protease inhibitor?
Ans. No. Raltegravir is an anti HIV drug. It does not have any known inhibitory effect on enzyme protease.
2. What is Isentress 400mg Tablet used for?
Ans. Isentress 400mg Tablet is used for the treatment for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
3. How does Isentress 400mg Tablet work?
Ans. How does Isentress 400mg Tablet inhibit HIV viral replication? Isentress 400mg Tablet works by inhibiting the action of an enzyme called integrase which is essential for the multiplication and survival of the virus (viral replication), thereby reducing HIV causing virus in the body.