Introduction to Metatime 500mg Tablet
Metatime 500mg Tablet belongs to a group of anti-diabetic medicines called biguanides used in the treatment of Diabetes. It helps to lower the increased blood glucose level in type 2 diabetes patients. Type 2 diabetes is a chronic or lifelong disorder that affects the way our body processes glucose. People with type 2 diabetes either do not produce enough insulin or the insulin produced is unable to perform its function in the body (insulin resistance). Middle-aged or older individuals are most likely to suffer from type 2 diabetes, so it is also known as adult-onset diabetes.
Metatime 500 is prescribed for the condition of type 2 diabetes when diet and exercise alone cannot control their blood sugar levels. It is the first-line therapy for patients with type 2 diabetes. Metatime-500mg restores the body’s response to insulin, decreases the amount of blood sugar produced by the liver, and delays the absorption of sugar by the stomach or intestines. Besides, Metatime 500 Tablet has off-label usage in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) where it helps normalize the menstruation cycle by restoring the body’s hormonal balance, lowers blood sugar levels, and stimulates ovulation.
Usually, Metatime 500 Tablet does not cause very significant side effects. Common side effects include diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting, or a metallic taste in the mouth. In very rare cases, it may cause a condition known as lactic acidosis (too much lactic acid in the body) with symptoms like dizziness, drowsiness, muscle pain, etc. Your sugar level may go down while taking this medicine with heavy exercise, drinking excessive alcohol, or skipping meals. Talk to the doctor about any of the health conditions listed above that may require urgent medical treatment.
Metatime 500mg works best when coupled with a healthy lifestyle like losing weight if you are overweight (BMI >25), eating fewer calories (low fat and sugary food), and being more physically active (at least 150 min of activity every week).
Uses of Metatime 500mg
It is used in adults and in children (aged 10 years or older) to treat:
- Type II diabetes mellitus
How Does Metatime 500mg Tablets Works?
Metatime 500mg tablet is an antidiabetic medicine. It makes the body more sensitive to insulin (a hormone involved in glucose metabolism). This helps our body cells to utilize more amount of the circulating blood glucose, thereby reducing blood sugar levels. Additionally, it also prevents glucose production by the liver and reduces its absorption in the body.
Side Effects of Metatime 500mg
Most side effects do not require any medical attention and disappear as your body adjusts to the medicine. Consult your doctor if they persist or if you’re worried about them
Common Side Effects
Dosage of Metatime 500mg
If you or anyone else accidentally take more Metatime 500mg tablet, consult your doctor immediately or visit the nearby hospital. Symptoms of overdose are vomiting, stomach pain with muscle cramps, feeling generally unwell with severe tiredness and difficulty in breathing.
Other Dosage of Metatime 500mg
How To Manage Side Effects
- Diarrhea: Hydrate yourself by drinking plenty of fluids, such as water or fruit juices. Consuming ORS can also be beneficial. Do not self-treat diarrhea on your own. Consult your doctor if your diarrhea becomes uncontrollable.
- Nausea And Vomiting: Take Metatime 500mg Tablet with or just after meals. Stick to simple meals. Avoid eating oily or spicy foods. Consult your doctor if your nausea worsens.
Warning & Precautions
- Pregnancy: Metatime 500mg tablet should be used during pregnancy only if it is considered necessary by the physician. Therefore, inform your doctor before taking Metatime 500mg tablet if you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant or planning to have a baby.
- Breastfeeding: Metatime 500mg tablet is not recommended for use in breastfeeding women. However, consult your doctor before taking it.
- Driving and using machines: Do not drive or operate any heavy tools or machines if your ability is affected by Metatime 500mg tablet.
- Alcohol: Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking Metatime 500mg tablet as it may increase the risk of unwanted side effects.
- Kidney: Metatime 500mg tablet is not recommended for use in patients with severe kidney problems (including kidney infections). Therefore, consult your doctor before taking it.
- Alcohol: It is unsafe to consume alcohol with Metatime 500 Tablet.
- Pregnancy: Metatime 500 Tablet is generally considered safe to use during pregnancy. Animal studies have shown low or no adverse effects to the developing baby; however, there are limited human studies.
- Breastfeeding: Metatime 500 Tablet should be used with caution during breastfeeding. Breastfeeding should be held until the treatment of the mother is completed and the drug is eliminated from her body.
- Driving: Your ability to drive may be affected if your blood sugar is too low or too high. Do not drive if these symptoms occur.
- Kidney: Metatime 500 Tablet should be used with caution in patients with kidney disease. Dose adjustment of Metatime 500 Tablet may be needed. Please consult your doctor. Use of Metatime 500 Tablet is, however, not recommended in patients with severe kidney disease.
- Liver: Metatime 500 Tablet is probably unsafe to use in patients with liver disease and should be avoided. Please consult your doctor.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does Metatime 500mg Tablet do exactly?
Ans. People with type 2 diabetes are not able to respond normally to the insulin made by their bodies. When this happens, the concentration of sugar/glucose increases in the blood. Metatime 500mg Tablet acts in several ways to reduce the increased levels of sugar in blood. Metatime 500 Tablet decreases glucose production from the liver and decreases absorption of glucose from the intestine after taking food while improving the sensitivity of the body organs and muscles towards insulin. This helps improve the uptake of glucose from the blood. It also helps your body to respond better to the insulin it makes naturally.
2. Does Metatime 500mg Tablet cause weight loss?
Ans. Yes, Metatime 500mg Tablet has been shown to cause weight loss in people who are overweight or obese. It may also cause a modest loss in weight in those overweight and obese individuals who are at risk for diabetes. In addition, patients who are sensitive or resistant to insulin may also show weight loss. But, do not start taking this medicine for weight loss on your own. Consult your doctor for the same.
3. What are the benefits of taking Metatime 500mg Tablet?
Ans. Metatime 500mg Tablet is one of the first medicines that is given to patients with high blood sugar levels. It helps control blood sugar levels. It promotes the body’s response to the insulin made by the pancreas, decreases the amount of sugar made by the liver and decreases the amount of sugar absorbed by the intestines. Unlike other oral antidiabetic medicines, Metatime 500 Tablet when taken alone, rarely causes low blood sugar as it prevents the pancreas from secreting more insulin. In addition to being a great medicine to lower blood sugar levels, it also helps in controlling weight gain.
4. Can Metatime 500mg Tablet make you sleepy?
Ans. Metatime 500mg Tablet usually does not cause sleepiness and is well tolerated. However, the use of Metatime 500 Tablet may rarely cause sleep disorders and insomnia. Sleepiness may be due to a very serious side effect called lactic acidosis, which particularly occurs if your kidneys are not working properly. Contact your doctor if you feel sleepy or tired while taking Metatime 500 Tablet.