Introduction to Metlong 500 mg Tablet
Metlong 500 Tablet SR is a medicine used to treat type 2 Diabetes mellitus. It helps control blood sugar levels and thus prevent serious complications of diabetes. It is also used to treat a menstruation-related disorder known as Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) in women.
Metlong 500 Tablet SR is best taken with food to avoid nausea and abdominal pain. You should take it regularly, at the same time each day, to get the most benefit. You should not stop taking this medicine unless your doctor recommends it. Your lifestyle plays a big part in controlling diabetes. Therefore, it is important to stay on the diet and exercise program recommended by your doctor while taking this medicine.
The most common side effects of this medicine include nausea, vomiting, taste change, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and loss of appetite. Some people may develop hypoglycemia (low blood sugar level) when this medicine is taken along with other antidiabetic medicines, alcohol, or upon skipping a meal. Monitor your blood sugar levels regularly while taking it.
Before taking this medicine, inform your doctor if you have any kidney, liver, or heart problems. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should also consult their doctor before taking it. Your doctor will check your kidney function tests before starting treatment with it. Avoid excessive alcohol intake while taking it as this may increase the risk of developing some side effects.
Uses of Metlong 500 mg
- Treatment of Type 2 diabetes mellitus
How Does Metlong 500 Works
Metlong 500 Tablet SR is an anti-diabetic medication (biguanide). It works by lowering glucose production in the liver, delaying the absorption of sugar (glucose) from the intestines, and increasing the body’s sensitivity to insulin.
Side Effects of Metlong 500
Most side effects do not require any medical attention and disappear as your body adjusts to the medicine. Consult your doctor if they persist or if you’re worried about them
Common Side Effects
- Abdominal discomfort or cramps
- Loss of appetite
Serious Side Effects
- Muscle pain or cramping
- Difficulty breathing
- Irregular or slow heartbeat
- Severe weakness or fatigue
- Cold or numb extremities
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Severe abdominal discomfort or stomach pain
- Feeling extremely weak or tired
Rare Side Effects
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes (jaundice)
- Dark urine
- Persistent nausea or vomiting
- Abdominal pain or tenderness
Dosage of Metlong 500 mg
- The usual starting dose for adults is typically 500mg once or twice a day with meals.
- The dosage may be gradually increased by the doctor based on the patient’s blood glucose levels and response to treatment.
- The maximum recommended daily dose for adults is usually 2000mg (2g) per day, divided into two or three doses.
- For children above 10 years of age, the usual starting dose is 500mg once daily, which can be increased based on blood glucose levels and doctor’s recommendation.
- The medication is usually taken with meals to reduce gastrointestinal side effects.
- Elderly patients or those with kidney problems may require dosage adjustments, and their doctor will determine the appropriate dose.
How to Manage Side Effects
- Follow Prescribed Dosage
- Take with Food
- Stay Hydrated
- Monitor Blood Sugar
- Report Symptoms
- Address Gastrointestinal Issues
- Prevent Lactic Acidosis
- Regular Check-ups
Warning & Precautions
- Allergic Reactions
- Lactic Acidosis
- Kidney Function
- Liver Function
- Heart Conditions
- Gastrointestinal Issues
- Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Prescription Only: Metlong 500 or any medication containing metformin should only be used with a valid prescription from a qualified healthcare provider.
- Medical Supervision: Take this medication under the supervision of a healthcare professional who is aware of your medical history, current health status, and any other medications you are taking.
- Dosage Compliance: Follow the prescribed dosage instructions strictly. Avoid changing the dosage or stopping the medication without consulting your doctor.
- Allergic Reactions: If you experience any signs of an allergic reaction (e.g., rash, itching, swelling, difficulty breathing), seek immediate medical attention and discontinue the medication.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What does Metlong 500 Tablet SR do exactly?
Ans. People with type 2 diabetes are not able to make enough insulin or respond normally to the insulin made by their bodies. When this happens, the concentration of sugar/glucose increases in the blood. Metlong 500 Tablet SR acts in several ways to reduce the increased levels of sugar in blood. Metlong 500 Tablet SR decreases glucose production from the liver and decreases absorption of glucose from the intestine after taking food while improving the sensitivity of the body organs and muscles towards insulin. This helps improve the uptake of glucose from the blood. It also helps your body to respond better to the insulin it makes naturally.
2. Does Metlong 500 Tablet SR cause weight loss?
Ans. Yes, Metlong 500 Tablet SR has been shown to cause weight loss in people who are overweight or obese. It may also cause a modest loss in weight in those overweight and obese individuals who are at risk for diabetes. In addition, patients who are sensitive or resistant to insulin may also show weight loss. But, do not start taking this medicine for weight loss on your own. Consult your doctor for the same.
3. What are the benefits of taking Metlong 500 Tablet SR?
Ans. Metlong 500 Tablet SR is one of the first medicines that is given to patients with high blood sugar levels. It helps control blood sugar levels. It promotes the body’s response to the insulin made by the pancreas, decreases the amount of sugar made by the liver and decreases the amount of sugar absorbed by the intestines. Unlike other oral antidiabetic medicines, Metlong 500 Tablet SR when taken alone, rarely causes low blood sugar as it prevents the pancreas from secreting more insulin. In addition to being a great medicine to lower blood sugar levels, it also helps in controlling weight gain.
4. Can Metlong 500 Tablet SR make you sleepy?
Ans. Metlong 500 Tablet SR usually does not cause sleepiness and is well tolerated. However, the use of Metlong 500 Tablet SR may rarely cause sleep disorders and insomnia. Sleepiness may be due to a very serious side effect called lactic acidosis, which particularly occurs if your kidneys are not working properly. Contact your doctor if you feel sleepy or tired while taking Metlong 500 Tablet SR.